- 2022.04.14 - Metrics
- 2022.04.06 – Synapse, Cryptpad and first website
- 2022.03.09 – Encrypting the disk
- 2022.03.02 – Site sketch, backup bug
- 2022.03.01 – The First Entry
2022.04.14 - Metrics
Just deployed a basic metrics system! It is composed of: Prometheus, Prometheus Exporter (for the node), cAdvisor (for Docker) and Grafana. Soon I wish we can offer some open dashboards 🤓.
2022.04.06 – Synapse, Cryptpad and first website
Long time without any updates, I’m traveling in my home country, Brasil 🇧🇷.
2022.03.09 – Encrypting the disk
By default, the disks on dedicated machines at Hetzner are not encrypted at rest. Last week I worked on encrypting the disks using Hetzner’s
installimage script. Worked like a charm. You can check more here.
2022.03.02 – Site sketch, backup bug
Two updates for the journal today.
First, we have a sketch for our future website. My partner Isabela is working lots on it. Implementation is coming soon!
Secondly, I had a ridiculous bug hunt yesterday. We are temporarily storing backups in Premiumize, by mounting their storage with SSHFS. The shell script basically did:
- Create backup
- Mount Premiumize with SSHFS
- Delete backups older than 7 days
- Umount Premiumize
It worked fine running by hand, line by line, but failed within Cron: the files were never copied.
After multiple trial and errors I found out that files were being created with a weird old date, like September 1999, and updated to the correct timestamp a couple of seconds later. Since my script was deleting older files right after copying, it deleted the newly copied file. Fuck.
The fix was simple: delete the files before copying, so we avoid any timestamp problem. It took a couple of arts though.
2022.03.01 – The First Entry
The project is around since 06.02.2022, at least that’s the day we rented a dedicated machine and bought the domain.
So far, we have a couple of services:
- ots.uncloud.do - a one time secret service.
- libretranslate.uncloud.do - an alternative to translate services.
- nextcloud.uncloud.do - an alternative to cloud data storage, like Google Drive. Our own private use, so far. Once we get comfortable we will think about opening it more.
- freshrss.uncloud.do - RSS feed aggregator, alternative to services like Feedly. Our own private use, so far. Same as Nextcloud.
Everything is hosted in (so far, one) Hetzner dedicated machine. The whole infrastructure is open and public, you can check it here. Time will tell if making our infrastructure so public is a good idea.
My partner was watching me hosting FreshRSS today and gave me the idea to document this, so here it is.
By the way, the FreshRSS logs are mixed between the web server and the app, like this:
One thing we want to do with Uncloud is be as anonymous as possible, so we probably need to drop the
<username> out of those logs. Soon I’ll work on this.